Forum
Filter     |   View Watchlist
[ Print Friendly ] [ Watch Thread ]

Arcys Extra Life
RTX 2014 Hotel Room Share Thread!"DANG. It sure does cost a pretty penny to attend RTX. I sure could save some money if I shared my room with somebody!"

*CHEESY 80s-ESQUE WIPE TO INFOMERCIAL*

NEW! From the makers of LOG!, it's the RTX 2014 Room Share Thread!

Looking to book a room? Check out RT SideQuest's RTX Hotel Helper!

How to Share Your Room
1) Go to this spreadsheet: bit.ly/RTX14RSA
2) Fill out the requested information. Please follow the instructions
3) Wait for unsuspecting attendees to fall into your web of lies! It's that simple!
4) Please maintain your entry. Once it's full, mark it as such. Once a spot is taken, mark it as such.

What to Do If You Need A Room
1) Don't post in the thread saying that you need a room. Instead, go to this spreadsheet: bit.ly/RTX14RSA
2) Find a room that suits your needs that's still available
3) Contact the person offering via their requested contact method
4) Fall into their web of lies!
5) Seriously, don't post in this thread. A bunch of posts saying "I need a room" doesn't help anybody becuase those with the rooms probably aren't looking. We need you to go to the person offering not the other way around.

A Few Things to Note
*If you're offering a room, we recommend you require those staying with you pay two weeks before RTX or else their spot is forfeit. Why? While it's nice to think everything is noble and right in the world, it's not. People will burn you. Protect yourself. Use a service like PayPal to transfer the money.
*No more than four people to a room. Hotels will probably charge you heavy fees if they notice that your room is over capacity. They have fire codes to adhere to.
*PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF THE HOTEL! Don't be crazy or loud at night. RTX Attendees have a very good reputation with the local hotels and we'd like to keep it that way. Not saying don't have fun, but don't be crazy either.
*Generally, those in beds pay a larger percentage of the total cost than those on the floor. For example, in a double bed room, the two in the beds pay 65% of the total while the floor spots pay 35%. Play around with the percentage as you like; this is by no means a guideline set in stone.

The RTX 2014 Room Share Thread! IT'S BETTER THAN BAD, IT'S GOOD! From BLAMMO!

Post edited 2/12/14 3:25PM
#1  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
70 REPLIES Watch  |  Sort by Likes · Date
dix YRR of LRR
Hope you don't mind I made a "singles looking for room" tab on the spreadsheet too as a way for 'free agents' who may be too shy to approach others about the room to let it be known they're looking!

Plus, it also helps if you notice a friend looking for a room and isn't already in one, you could possibly pair up with them or scout people with similar plans to join in and start a room of your own.
#2  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Outsider618 Sponsor
I am assuming their won't be any discounts on hotels this year.. since RT havent said anything like they did for the last couple years
#3  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Armor3dXombi MunchyKeeper
In reply to Outsider618, #3:

I'm sure they'll announce discounts in the coming months. Once we're close to RTX.
#4  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
kaosblack21 Black Alex

I think we can wait a little bit on any announcements about hotel discounts. They're in the middle of choosing guardians. Tickets were only just released a few days ago. We have 6 months until RTX.
#5  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
SickSlickMan Movie Guy
Barb's twitter just confirmed there are no hotel room deals this year. We are on our own, folks.
#6  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Arcys Extra Life
In reply to SickSlickMan, #6:
Barb's twitter just confirmed there are no hotel room deals this year. We are on our own, folks.

Link in case anyone wants it: twitter.com/BlawnDee/status/4307881470775...
#7  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
DrewMcKelroy Sponsor
Going to RTX solo and coming form So Cal so if anyone is looking for someone to split a hotel with hit me up or if your going alone and are looking for someone to chill with hit me up!

#8  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
dix YRR of LRR
In reply to DrewMcKelroy, #8:

Add your name to the second tab of the spreadsheet linked in the first post.
#9  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
RaeFox
Can people reserve a room without paying just yet?
I'd like to be the one to offer a room, but I don't have the money to pay in advance right now. (Or the group to share the cost with me) Are people just tentatively offering room on the spreadsheet?
#10  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Arcys Extra Life
In reply to RaeFox, #10:

It depends on the hotel. I would call ahead and ask just to be sure.
#11  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
UNOmations
any within a 2 mile radius name them
#12  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Arcys Extra Life
In reply to UNOmations, #12:

RT SideQuest has put out a tool that puts the hotels on a map that should help you out. rtsidequest.com/rtx-hotels
#13  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
kittysmuse Horse
In reply to RaeFox, #10:

In response to both this and any other people wondering, I've confirmed that (at the very least) for the Hilton Downtown Austin you do not need to pay for anything when reserving a room. In fact, I called and found out that specifically they don't put a hold on your card until you check in, and they then take the money out of the card (along with any other costs accumulated, such as for wifi) once you check out. So all you need to reserve a room is your credit/debit card number and such, but you do not need the money until you've arrived. Hopefully this helps some of you out!
#14  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
RaeFox
In reply to kittysmuse, #14:

Thank you! That's incredibly helpful information. It eases my worries, and I'm sure it does for others as well.
#15  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
mana1423 Sponsor
I posted a room and have 3 spots available. I want to fill and book fast so I can stop worrying about it.
#16  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Arcys Extra Life
Just to let people know, I reorder the entries so that those rooms that are still available are at the top of the list. There's no particular order I put them in... just what ever makes it easy to reorder it.

Also, please don't color your row to make it stand out against the other entries.

Post edited 2/13/14 9:37AM
#17  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Armor3dXombi MunchyKeeper
If someone is looking for a place to stay, message drewmckelory. i was gonna room with him, but found a better opening closer to the convention. So my spot is open.

Go before the spot is gone.
#18  Posted 6 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Maiu Her Long Ago
So the one room available is out of my price range. Are there any available rooms for a single traveler on a tight but reasonable budget?
#19  Posted 5 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Maiu Her Long Ago
Found a room, added it to the doc.
#20  Posted 5 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
cdnl33t Hammer
I posted my room in the spreadsheet. I have room for 1 to 3 people. I look forward to making new friends
#21  Posted 5 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
DimityJessup Time Agent
I haven't booked my hotel because I cannot fully afford it and Iam quite particular in what Iam looking for, is it ok to put it on the spreadsheet as tentative?

"Looking at prices and everything now for accommodation in Austin for RTX this year, I purchased my RTX ticket yesterday and I haven't looked back since even though my family are against it, but i know I can do this without them, I hope.... But I'll only be in Austin from 2nd and check out on the 9th. I've looked at a few down town hotels all are between 1800-2500 for this time the Residence inn is a total of 1832.95 for the whole time, it is at the convention centre offering the sofa bed for about 850 usd or if you have it Aud 950 , so if anyone out in the RT world is looking to be a roommate (criteria, female preferred, won't touch my stuff! Would be awesome if Aussie because I could get AUD to pay off my flights) if interested reply or send me a message :)"
#22  Posted 5 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
jakeofblades Awesome

Your best bet is to book it as far in advance as you can, or if you have a friend/family who works with a certain chain I'm pretty sure you could get one for cheaper as well.
#23  Posted 5 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
jakeofblades Awesome
In reply to DimityJessup, #22:

You don't have to pay to book a hotel, only once you check in- and if you don't check in on the check-in date, it won't be held for you but there's still no problem. So just book the ones you think you'd be most likely to stay at?
#24  Posted 5 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Arcys Extra Life
In reply to jakeofblades, #24:
...and if you don't check in on the check-in date, it won't be held for you but there's still no problem.

Not entirely true. Some hotels will place a pre-auth on your credit card for the first night of the stay as a security deposit in case you don't show. Especially for rooms around/linked to big events.

That being said, you can cancel most rooms up to 72 hours in advance of your check-in date. EDIT: Provided you get a refundable room. Obviously, if you opt for the cheaper, non-refundable room, you're screwed no matter what.

Post edited 3/21/14 9:16AM
#25  Posted 5 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
randalberzer Bad Wolf
I have an extra pass for the weekend and a twin room at the Radisson (one/two blocks from the center) Girlfriend can't go and booked a twin just in case that happened. Message me if you have questions or are interested in either a pass or a spare bed for the weekend. Also posted info in the spreadsheet
#26  Posted 4 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Fire2Ninja RTX TIME
a hunting I go for a decent rate room, close to the event, so I don't have to treck far in a cosplay armor
#27  Posted 3 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Katerater LovesScruffy
Estimated 17 min walk from the hotel to the convention!
I've got 4 spots available. Find me on the spread sheet and let me know if you like what you read!

Post edited 5/05/14 5:30AM
#28  Posted 3 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
Hayate101 TheMonk
I am considering getting a hotel room, would any one like to share? I will checking in 7/3/14 and checking out 7/8/14, Ideally I will be looking for somewhere within 15 walk of the convention!

Send me a message via RT or email at [email protected] if you interested!! :)
#29  Posted 3 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
erich RTX Guardian
If anyone is still in need of a room. Please message me here on RT. Downtown Austin Hilton.
#30  Posted 3 months ago  |  Reply  |  Quote
1 2 3 Next
Please sign in or sign up to post a comment.